As a locum tenens physician, you have the unique opportunity to see and experience new places in addition to learning about different practice settings. Our expert travel staff have compiled a list of tips to assist with getting acclimated to each new city.
- Do research before moving. Familiarize yourself with the city you are moving to by reading about it and finding pictures online. You can learn the type of climate, what activities are available, and find eateries you’ll want to try out all before you move.
- Ask people for suggestions.The best way to learn about fun activities and restaurants is to ask people who’ve been living in the city. Don’t be afraid to ask for recommendations. You can also check sites like Yelp and Trip Advisor to find out what people recommend.
- Say yes to everything. The only way you’ll meet new people and enjoy new experiences is by saying “yes” to new opportunities.
- Build a social support network. Use your friends to network and meet new people. You can also use online services like MeetUp to find others in the area that have similar interests or hobbies.
- Be a tourist for the day. It’s easy to forget to see the sights and sounds of a new town. Do a little research and find out what is a must see in your town. Then, schedule a day to experience the city.
Have a suggestion you don’t see on this list? Send us your tips here!